Friday, March 11, 2011

The Gang

     i live in suburbia near some small woods, so ive seen my fair share of deer over the years. But this winter, a herd of about 14 has moved into my neighborhood. Every day at twilight you can see them walking single file through my neighbor's backyard to another neighbor's house where they feed them. There is one who is always a bit behind, on account of her formerly broken leg. It never healed correctly, so it makes walking quite awkward. At first i felt bad, thinking she was in pain and suffering. Then one day i saw her take off like a shot, easily three times faster than i could ever run. It dawned on me that although her leg made walking cumbersome, she is doing well.  I felt better after having realized they are built much hardier than we are. I haven't seen them for several days, but i am sure she is still trucking with the rest of the group. There is no point to this post, just a story i thought i'd share.

23 comments:

  1. Resiliency in nature is formidable, we humans dont have that kind of endurance because of Technology

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. Instead of of the deer lying down and giving up, it kept on trucking and made it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I always see deer near my house. I live nowhere near any woods, though. They just inhabit the hills near where I live. I always get really excited when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are so weak, but we think ourselves powerful

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^not necessarily true. we are perfectly capable but we gave it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool that u can see them in your neighborhood , when i see a deer it reminds me of Bambi
    following and $upporting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beast machines.

    Following/supporting.

    limitfears.blogspot.com
    +
    wordslol.blogspot.com

    if you'd like to check me back :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. They still have to run from predators. Broken leg or not, you run or you get eaten. Isn't nature beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the story though. For some reason it reminded me of the scene in Stand by Me where the main guy sees the dear all by himself and he never tells anyone else about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deer always manage to push through, just look at Bambi, he made it all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so what's the hunting law where you live? sounds like a lot of venision to me.. just kidding, it's amazing seeing how fast these animal and can run and how high they jump

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're not the top of the food chain, so resilience and such become important to their survival. Glad to hear it's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Walking is often painful for me, but I can run if i need to.

    Doodles and Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheers for sharing - glad it's doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. get a paintball gun n shoot em for fun. then get a real gun n shoot em for dinner. Then embrace you're masculine hunting experience and watch the rest of the herd and smile at their beauty and how they prance and leave em alone till you need more meat. and go to your bbq and heat up some good healthy game.

    folllowing n $upporting

    therichesthappiest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deer are just rats with hooves. :P

    Following and Supporting your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. We see deer in our yard a lot.
    They can jump a barbed wire fence like it's not even there, it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i think shes doing good!
    go on ! =)

    http://www.daily-life-of-mxc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting. People sure can surprise you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good article! Deers are adorable.

    ReplyDelete